A Piece of Cake was the 25th episode of Season 2 of The Golden Girls, also the 46th overall episode of the series. Directed by Terry Hughes and written by Kathy Speer and Terry Grossman with Mort Nathan and Barry Fanaro, it premiered on NBC-TV, originally airing on May 9th, 1987.
As the ladies prepare the hors d'oeuvres for a surprise birthday for Roberta, an elderly friend of Sophia's, they take a walk down memory lane, reminiscing about their favorite birthdays. Dorothy remembers the surprise party Rose threw for her at Mr. Ha Ha's Hot Dog Hacienda. Sophia recalls a milestone birthday: her 50th, when she was fighting with her husband Salvadore. Rose tells of her 1st birthday alone, after her husband died, when she decided to leave St. Olaf for Miami. Blanche tells of the time when the ladies had just moved in together and threw her a surprise party, not knowing how much she hated them. It was that party that changed Blanche's mind about being surprised, because they invited all the men in her little black book! Back in the present day, Blanche says,"That's the best, when you're really surprised." With this, the ladies yell, "Surprise!" The story about Roberta's party was just a cover so they could really surprise Blanche and a conga line of men dances in from the lanai.
- Alan Blumenfeld as Mr. Ha Ha
- Jeffrey Webber as Bobby Spina
- Lynnie Greene as a Younger Dorothy
- Sid Melton as Salvadore Petrillo
- Alan Blumenfeld also appeared in the first season episode "Second Motherhood" as Lou, the plumber.
- This is the first time Lyn Greene appears as the Young Dorothy Zbornak (in her 20's and 30's). She would appear 3 more times throughout the series.
- Though only Sid Melton's voice is heard as Salvadore in this episode,he would play the character onscreen in 6 future episodes.Melton also played Don the Fool in "What a Difference a Date Makes".