|Blanche and the Younger Man|
|Season 1, Episode 9|
|Air date||November 16, 1985|
|Written by||James Berg, Susan Harris|
|Directed by||Jim Drake|
|Break-In||The Heart Attack|
Rose's dynamic mother comes to Miami for a visit an it becomes apparent to everyone that Rose needs to lay off and stop smothering her energetic mother who just wants to live life. Meanwhile, Blanche is shocked when her Dirk asks her out on a date, but she is concerned because he is half her age and she does all she can to make herself look younger.
Rose: Hi Blanche! Gee, you look terrific!
Rose: [to Dorothy] Blanche looks terrible!
Rose: Now come on, why don't you take a nap while I fix you something to eat?
Alma Lindstrom: Rosey, I'm not a child. I don't need a nap.
Rose: There's nothing wrong with take a nap - Bob Hope takes naps!
Sophia Petrillo: Unless he's in the bedroom, now, taking one I think she'd rather stay here with us.
Notes, Trivia and GoofsEdit
- In this episode, it's revealed Blanche is older than the age of 50.
- Alma and Rose play mother/daughter in this episode, but Jeanette Nolan is only ten years older than Betty White, their actresses.
- In this episode, Sophia mentions that Dorothy never treats her like an old lady but rather as a person. However in the episode Older and Wiser from season six, Sophia says Dorothy makes her feel like an old fool when she tricks her into becoming an "activities director" at a retirement home.
- There's no mention of Rose being adopted in this episode. The way she and Alma interact, there is no hint she's not her biological mother.
- The picture in the closing credits shows Rose being cradled by her mother.