Forgive Me, Father is the 18th episode of Season 2 of The Golden Girls, also the 43rd overall series episode. Directed by Terry Hughes and written by Kathy Speer and Terry Grossman, the episode premiered on NBC-TV, originally airing on February 14, 1987.
A teacher to whom Dorothy is attracted turns out to be a priest.
Dorothy is doing some weekend work on the Youth Fair and is attracted to one of the other teachers, Frank Leahy. With some encouragement from Blanche, Dorothy asks him over for dinner, but what she didn't realise is that Frank is a priest.
Frank informs Dorothy that he has made a big decision because of her, and Dorothy comes to the conclusion that he loves her and is going to leave the preisthood. Sophia is apalled and does everything she can to prevent this from happening.
Scene excerpts Edit
- Quotes from scenes
- Sophia: Rose, I found my lucky handkerchief.
- Rose: Where was it?
- Sophia: It was in my bra.
- Rose: What was it doing in your bra?
- Sophia: I was blowing my breast, Rose. I thought I heard voices; now I see that only two of them are God fearing.
- Dorothy: Ma, would you get off back? I feel bad enough.
- Sophia: You? What about me? Eighty-one years I've eaten fish on Friday, even when the Pope told me I didn't have to. I go to Mass, I light candles, I say novenas – and for what? So it can all be flushed down the toilet because my daughter insists on going out with Father Happy-Pants.
- Dorothy: Ma, you're not making it any easier.
- Sophia: Look, Dorothy. In the end, only you can decide what's right for you and what ever decision it is, I'll stand by it...And just remember, make the wrong decision and you'll burn in Hell forever. Sleep tight, pussycat.
[Blanche acting nervous after realizing Dorothy's date is a priest]
- Blanche: Sweet Jesus, why am I babbling?
- Father Frank Leahy: It's OK. OK.
- Blanche: O God, now I am lying to a priest.