Guess Who's Coming to the Wedding was the second episode of Season 1 of The Golden Girls, also the 2nd overall series episode. Directed by Paul Bogart, and written by Susan Harris and Winifred Hervey, it premiered on NBC-TV, first airing on September 21, 1985.
When Dorothy's daughter Kate gets married, Dorothy must confront her ex-husband Stanley, who walked out on their 38-year marriage for a younger woman.
Dorothy's daughter, Kate, comes to Miami with an announcement: she's engaged to a podiatrist named Dennis. Dorothy is thrilled, but her happiness quickly turns to anger when she realizes that her ex-husband, Stanley, has been invited to the wedding. After 38 years of marriage, Stan had left Dorothy for a younger woman. Dorothy threatens to make a scene at the reception, which places Rose and Blanche in the roles of peacemakers.
- Lisa Jane Persky as Kate Zbornak
- Dennis Drake as Dennis
- Herb Edelman as Stanley Zbornak
- Kurt Smildsin as Priest
- This is the first appearance of Dorothy's ex-husband Stanley Zbornak.
- Dorothy's children, Kate and Michael, are seen several times throughout the run of the show, yet they are never seen together and neither one ever speaks of the other.
- While Dorothy is talking to Stanley near the ending, a camera wire can be seen on the edge of the screen.
- There is a scene during which Dorothy ties Stanley's bow tie; however, the clasp on Stanley's pre-made tie is clearly visible in subsequent scenes.
Blanche: "Rose, where's Dorothy?"
Rose: "I don't know. She was here a minute ago, I ..."
She spots Dorothy with a knife approaching the wedding cake which Stan happens to be standing by.
Rose: "Oh, my God!"
She hustles Dorothy into the kitchen.
Rose: "Give me that knife!"
Dorothy: "What are you doing?"
Rose: (snatching the knife): "I can't let you go through with this! Do you want to spend the rest of your life rotting away in some disgusting jail cell, bribing screws for cigarettes and toilet paper?"
Dorothy: "Rose, in Miami it is not a felony to cut the wedding cake".
Rose: "Cut the ... wed ,,, Oh, I thought you were gonna stab Stan".
Dorothy: "Don't be ridiculous! Do you honestly believe that I would stab Stan at my own daughters wedding?"
Rose: (handing the knife back to Dorothy) "No, I guess not".
Dorothy: "Well of course not. I would wait until after the wedding. There are too many witnesses".
She holds up the knife as if she's about to stab someone.
Rose: "Oh, don't do that to me".