It's a Miserable Life was the fourth episode of Season 2 of The Golden Girls TV series, also the 29th overall series episode. Directed by Terry Hughes and written by Barry Fanaro, it originally aired on NBC-TV on November 1, 1986.
The girls band together for a good cause to preserve a 200-year-old oak tree in the neighborhood to their local City Hall, but the owner of the tree, Frida Claxton is extremely mean and hateful and wants the tree cut down despite the neighborhood wanting it saved. Rose tells her to drop dead, and she does! The girls decide to have a funeral for her, since she had no friends and relatives.
- Nan Martin as Frida Claxton
- Thom Sharp as Mr. Pfeiffer
- Amzie Strickland as Lady at Funeral
- Johnny Haymer as Commissioner
- The outside of the Mortuary sign is the same one used in the show Will and Grace, where Grace visits a dear friend who she thought was dead.
- The background shot during the closing credits features the four ladies in the funeral home looking on at Mr. Pfeiffer, who's off-screen.
- Nan Martin would later appear again in Season Four's, 100th episode, Foreign Exchange as Philomena Bosco.
- Nan Martin's real name is Abigail Beckwhite.