Peggy Rea appears as Mrs. Contini, a dating service matchmaker, in the Season 6 episode of "The Golden Girls" titled "Wham, Bam, Thank You, Mammy".
|Born:||March 31, 1921|
|Died||February 5, 2011(aged 89)|
|Death Location||Toluca Lake, California, United States|
|Appeared on/Involved with:||The Golden Girls|
|Characer/appeared as:||Mrs. Contini|
Peggy Jane Rea (March 31, 1921 – February 5, 2011) was an American actress known for her many roles in television, often playing matronly characters. Rea left UCLA to attend business school, landing a job as a production secretary at MGM in the 1940s. Peggy appeared on The Golden Girls as Mrs. Contini, a dating service agent, in the Season 6 episode titled "Wham, Bam, Thank You, Mammy".
She appeared in such television programs as I Love Lucy, Hazel, Bonanza, Have Gun Will Travel, Gunsmoke, Sergeant Bilko, Ironside, Burke's Law, Marcus Welby, M.D., All In The Family, Hunter, The Odd Couple, Gidget, Busting Loose, MacGyver and The Dukes of Hazzard (as Lulu Coltrane-Hogg).
She appeared in feature films, including Cold Turkey and In Country. She joined the cast of The Waltons in 1979, her character brought in to fill the void created by the departures several key cast members; she remained on that show through its 1981 cancellation. She was a regular on the sitcom Grace Under Fire during the 1990s.
Her recurring roles included:
- Peggy on Have Gun Will Travel
- Miss Roniger on Gunsmoke
- Cousin Bertha on All in the Family
- Martha Burkhorn on All in the Family
- Rose Burton on The Waltons
- Lulu Hogg on The Dukes of Hazzard
- Ivy Baker on Step by Step
- Jean Kelly on Grace Under Fire
She died in Toluca Lake, California, aged 89, from amyotrophic lateral sclerosis on February 5, 2011, one month before her 90th birthday.
- ↑ "PASSINGS: Peggy Rea". Los Angeles Times. February 12, 2011. http://www.latimes.com/news/obituaries/la-me-passings-20110212,0,2581241.story. Retrieved February 13, 2011.
- ↑ Peggy Rea, TV Actress With Matronly Aura, Dies at 89 New York Times, February 11, 2011; page B15.
- ↑ Book of the Dead website giving Rea's cause of death as ALS